Thursday, June 26, 2008

UC...wait for it...SF

Yesterday was our big appointment at UCSF to get Jenna's skin checked out. Jake came home early from work to go with us and we left at 1:00 for our 2:30 appointment. Traffic was bad but Jake did an impressive job of finding the building and a place to park; we even arrived 20 minutes early! It was intimidating to walk into that medical center, which was across the street from the Comprehensive Cancer Center. The receptionist was really funny and the paperwork was minimal. While we waited, Jenna played with a little boy (actually, she played with his stroller). After almost an hour, we were informed that because there was only one pediatric dermatologist in the building that day, they were behind about 45 minutes. Great. I was running out of raisins and Jake and I were both starving because we skipped lunch.

Waiting.....

They finally called Jenna's name and the nurse took us back to a room. She measured Jenna who is 32" tall (almost 5" taller than she was in April when I took for her one year check-up!) and she weighs 23 pounds. Tall and skinny! Jenna was a great sport about everything. The nurse gave her a gown and I felt so awkward as I put it on her. I think I just felt out of place.

No, she was not drugged.

Amy, a medical student came in next and I was less than impressed with her. I think she was nervous. She was very shy when it came to touching Jenna and she didn't talk much with Jenna. A few minutes later, the doctor came in and she was the nicest doctor I have ever met. She explained that the line on Jenna's arm that looks like scales is called a Linear Epidermal Nivea which basically means that when Jenna's skin was forming, too much skin formed there on her arm. It's nothing to worry about and it will probably diminish over time. The red spot on Jenna's back is a hemangioma and will also fade with time. At this point, Jenna was crying pretty hard so we quickly got her dressed and headed home. Traffic was bad again (but when is it NOT bad in California?) and we debated stopping to eat but didn't see anything that sounded good.

Smog central.

We did see the Oracle Arena where the Warriors play and this cool building advertising lofts for rent (which probably go for $2000 a month!)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad it was nothing serious. And I first thought she was medicated in that picture. haha

Amy Franklin said...

Med students are useless most of the time. I mean, everyone needs to starts somewhere, but come on, get a grip! I am glad that it is no big deal--I can't belive you had to go all the way to SF for the appt. Oh wait, you are in the Bay Area now! Well, I like the pictures and poor Jenna in a trance! Love you!

lynsey said...

well luckily both things will just go away in time! hey she almost outweighs caleb...he's 25 lbs! maybe she could be his bodyguard someday?

Kimra Bham said...

What a loooonnng day! So glad to hear, though, that it's nothing serious. It's always good to recieve news like that :) She is super adorable, by the way!! (I think I say that every time I comment, but it's really so true!!)

Melissa and Lance Atkins said...

Scary! Was the doctor worried about cancer? I am glad everything is okay! Your little girl is absolutely beautiful.