We are done with diapers. It's only day one, but there's no turning back now. Jake and I went back and forth on whether or not to start potty training and decided now was a good time - a big factor being that he is home and available to help. Last night I felt a little nervous about starting today, partly because I didn't get a book to guide me and have never trained a child to use the toilet. But mostly because there's no denying that Jenna is definitely a big girl now. It started with converting her crib into a toddler bed and I actually cried. I'll admit that I'm a little more emotional than most but I even surprised myself when the tears started flowing. And now that we've started the potty training process I have to come to terms with the fact that she really is not a baby anymore. But.... this morning, as she raced to the bathroom to look at her new potty chart, she slipped on the tile and did a mega face plant. She screamed and I picked her up and she immediately snuggled in and let me rock her for a good five minutes until she calmed down. As we sat there I thought, "She'll always be my baby, diapers or no diapers." So, we move forward. Here's how potty training adds up for us so far:
5 Big Bird juice boxes
90 total minutes on the toilet
2 Ariel stickers on the chart
1 package princess fruit snacks
4 peanut butter M&Ms
10 accidents (so far....)
Ten accidents seems like a lot but I can tell she's catching on to the concept. Her first and second accidents didn't even phase her and I only discovered the wetness when I picked her up. Then after a few more accidents she was saying, "Sorry daddy!" And there was a full-on meltdown after her last accident. She was so mad that her Jasmine panties weren't dry. So here's to dry days, more laundry and money saved! In the meantime, I think I'll start a thank you letter to Disney...
The princess on her throne
4 comments:
Maybe you could read a story to her while she's on the potty; that's what my mom did. I am so proud of Jenna!!
Emma...90 minutes on the toilet!! What do you think they were doing?!?! But I'm glad you remember that time in your life in a positive way.
We will have to change Jenna's nickname to "Jenna DRY Pants"!!!
Way to go everyone! Hang in there!!!
If you're looking for a potty training book, I've heard of great results using "Potty Train in Just One Day" (or something similar to that). We actually checked it out from the library a while back, did the little "readiness" quiz, and decided to wait a little longer before training Gracie. It has some really great ideas, though.
(You're probably not inclined to take advice from me, since Gracie's not trained yet, but I promise that friends have had good results!) Good luck with everything!
It is WAY more work than just changing diapers for the first week or so... at least it was for us. That right there made me want to stop and go back. BUT, if you stick it out, it's worth it in the end!!!! Good luck!!! Looks like things are going well so far :)
Post a Comment