It's 5:17 p.m. Jenna is wearing a diaper, which needs changing, and one of my pink t-shirts which she is calling a dress. Her hair is the total definition of bedhead and she's got a pink plastic necklace on that I got at the flea market for $1. She has pulled out four pairs of my shoes and they are strewn about my room, along with various shirts and pants that have somehow failed to make into the dirty clothes basket. Oh wait. That's because the basket is still sitting in the garage, filled with clean clothes. The bed is unmade but that's okay because Jake is asleep in it. There are popcorn kernels on the floor because Jenna accidentally knocked over the bowl that was still next to the bed from my snack last night. But I'm trying to ignore it because I'm deeply engrossed in a game of catch using a wadded up Kool-aid packet and cupcake papers. Other cupcake papers have been wadded up and stuffed in an empty ice cube tray, which is also sitting on the floor. Belle, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty figurines have a spot on the treadmill. After giggling over catch, Jenna and I decide it's time to move out to the kitchen so daddy can have a peaceful nap. It's not any better out there. In the sink are bowls of soggy macaroni and cheese noodles let over from lunch, along with the pot it was cooked in. There's a crock pot from last night that has been soaking and I've avoided washing it because the chicken guts are grossing me out. Mail is scattered all over the table, including a notice from Jake's work that our insurance is going up by $70. The word "mess" is an understatement in this situation. My mom frequently used the term "pig sty" to refer to our rooms growing up and I think that probably applies a little better. But we have a little bit of an excuse for the craziness around here. Jake had knee surgery yesterday to repair a torn meniscus. The injury happened back in December and he's been home on worker's comp since the beginning of the year. And honestly, I've really enjoyed having him home because he's so helpful but I think we're both excited that he'll soon be back to normal. When the doctor said he was going to need surgery and asked if he had any questions, Jake just asked when he'd be able to play basketball again. Hopefully soon! But, the past couple of days we've been focusing on ice packs, keeping his knee elevated and getting up every hour to keep his circulation going, mixed in with a few chuckles when we think about how funny it is that he has to wear stockings for another two days. (He looks like he's ready for the Renaissance fair!) He's doing really well and feels pretty good, thanks in part to that Vicadin prescription.
P.S. It's 7:20 now and all the dishes are done, clothes and shoes are in the closet and Jenna is in bed wearing regular pajamas, not my shirt. Although that ice tray is still on the floor....
P.S.S. I did not include a picture with this post because hopefully the picture in your head is not as bad as what things really looked like.
4 comments:
Are you sure you didn't get your description from my apartment? I have the same soggy noodles in my sink!
Tell Jake I said feel better! My Dad went through and is still going through a lot of knee stuff. We called his stockings "faggy socks" growing up (not the nicest name). He had to wear his for 4 years.
Happy birthday Jenna! What a cutie!!
You should have seen my room before we cleaned it this week!
Hey, some days ya just have to go with it!
Hi Jill! Our home looks like that more days than I care to admit- like right now......
As long as you're having fun does it matter much? :)
Post a Comment