Sunday, March 15, 2009

I get so emotional, baby

My sisters used to tease me with that Whitney Houston song whevener I'd pout and after reading this post, I wouldn't be surprised if they called me up singing it again. I'm totally pouting. Today has been an everything-annoys-me kind of day. (Now would be the appropriate time to leave a comment and tell me how often you have these kinds of days too so I don't feel like a total snot head). Everything was going well this morning as we got ready for church. My outfit came together like I wanted, Jenna's pigtails looked good and I was armed with fruit snacks, stickers and pencils. I also packed extra undies and tights and a plastic bag but I was confident I wouldn't need those things. So we headed out the door at 8:43, a record for us, but good because I needed to be early to play prelude. But Jake informed me that I had "gunk" in my hair. I checked it out and it was toothpaste. Great. I ran back inside to clean it up and we didn't back out of the driveway until 8:50. It takes 5 minutes to get to church. And it was downhill from there. There were a series of other things that contributed to my foul mood but it's so petty that it's not worth mentioning (you know, 'cause toothpaste in my hair isn't petty) and on any other day I wouldn't have thought twice about it. But what did me in was the poop. I picked Jenna up from nursery and could smell it instantly. I was praying, pleading, begging it wasn't her but it was. I tried to remain calm and confident but I have never changed dirty panties before! How the heck was I going to get this off without smearing poop all over her legs and feet?! On top of that, I had NO WIPES. Seriously? What kind of mom leaves the house without wipes? So I started grabbing paper towels from the dispenser and wetting them in the sink and I tried not to get worked up or gag because of the smell but then, someone walked in the bathroom and I got even more flustered. I apologized for the smell but she probably just wondered why I was cleaning my kid's bum with sand paper. And the whole time Jenna was posing in the mirror and singing, "Mooooooommy! Poooooopoo!" At least one of us was having a good time. So, on the way home I did my best to let everything go but I was on the edge of.... something, I don't know. But after lunch, Jenna took the world's fastest bath, (had to get that smell off!) I tucked her in for a nap and she was asleep in no time. Thank goodness. I don't know what I would have done if she didn't take a nap today. But she is sound asleep and that alone redeems the day. That, and lounging in my sweats eating tropical flavored Starburst jellybeans. They're on sale at Target for $1.66 if you're having a poopy day, too.

7 comments:

Sami said...

Great entry! Don't you love the poo accidents???? Way worse than the pee accidents. I find it too funny that we were just talking about poo accidents yesterday! Way to keep your cool though and what a blessing that she took a nap. I hope you laid down!

Keep up the good work.

Portia said...

Hey, if poo can't make a person emotional, what will???

Mattson Family said...

I have those days ALL the time..emotional ones, where everyting sets me off. Thank goodness she took a nap so you could re-group. Hang in there! :)

Camille said...

Baptism by fire Jill. We Moms have at least one of those awful moments potty training which makes the success even better.

You are doing great and thanks for playing in Sac. Mtg. today so I didn't have to flub through on the organ. Just chalk up the mood to hormones and move on, that's what I do!

Nathaniel & Jenny said...

Emily and Jenna must have had a poop competition today. Emily decided to poop in the bathtub this morning. Oh how I love bleach!

Jen

Diana said...

Jill, lately I have been having one of those days AT LEAST weekly (and I say AT LEAST!) No, not the poopy kind (although I am sure I will have many of those in the future) but the "every little thing is driving me crazy today" and it always seems to all come pouring out on Ryan. You're so good though, I had no clue you were having one, and you even held my fussy baby in primary! I think I am going to go get some jelly beans tomorrow. . .thanks for the reminder!

Unknown said...

Oh Jill, I don't know what to say except "Go eat more jellybeans, those always make a girl feel better" You are a great mom and you have a lot going on. Just call and vent it out to me anytime. I love it! (but I love you more)