The Warriors game on Friday night against Miami was so exciting. The Warriors were down by at least 10 the whole game and at one time, as much as 23. I feel sorry for those who left early because the last 4 minutes were the most exciting. I don't know what happened but the Warriors were on fire!! They came back to win it 120-113. I have never screamed so hard in my life. And Shaq really is huge. Even from far away, his feet looked giagantic.
But a few people there kind of ruined it for me. A very, very large group of junior high kids were sitting directly in front of us and were quite possibly the most obnoxious bunch of kids ever. I only hope I wasn't like that as a 12 and 13-year-old. If I was, sorry Mom. They kept standing up, wrapping tape around their wrists (with the help of one of their chaperones!), fighting over seats, flirting, and wearing very large balloon hats that ended up right in Jake's face. My brother finally told them to sit down. Also, a guy behind me kept saying the F word, so much that it really started bugging me. Typically, I never would have said anything to a large, gangster-looking man but two things crossed my mind: 1) I've been told several times that I need to be more assertive and 2) Why should I have to listen to that??! So, the next time he said it, I just turned around and gave a look like, "Excuse me?" He didn't look at me but the two girls sitting with him saw and told him. Then it was every other word out of his mouth. I told myself, "The next time he says it, I'm going to ask him to stop." Two seconds later, I mustered up the courage to turn around and in my nicest voice ask, "Would you please stop using that word? Please." He looked at me like I was the stupidest thing he ever saw and said, "What?" like what I was asking was so ridiculous. And the lovely girl next to him said, "You're at a basketball game, girl. Get some ear muffs!" I just turned back around. I heard them call me a few things and then it got really bad. He kicked my chair a few times while the we were all chanting "De-FENSE!" but basically was screaming profanities the rest of the game. My brother said I made it worse by saying something and that I just have to ignore those things. But why? Why should I have to put up with that? And what about being more assertive? I was just so upset by the whole thing. So much that I couldn't stop thinking about it even after the game ended. Those people were so rude. What great examples they were to the junior high kids in front of us.
The rest of the weekend kind of stunk too and I felt bad for Jake because it was supposed to be his fun birthday weekend. Jenna is either feeling the effects of her flu shot or getting another tooth but she was up most of the night Friday night. We didn't go to the temple on Saturday morning like we had planned and Jenna was so grumpy and miserable that I had to call Jake to come home from his cousin's playoff football game Saturday night. We got home from Fremont around 10 p.m. and then had to give talks yesterday. I do think those went pretty well. But now I'm just looking forward to Christmas and our anniversary. Hopefully we can have a more enjoyable anniversary weekend!
3 comments:
Jill, sorry you had such a poopy weekend. Think of how much worse you would have felt if you had NOT said anything to that jerk. Hope things get better. Wish we were there! Love you,
miss
I am so sorry Jill, that really stinks. When things like that happen to me, I can't stop thinking about it and I keep replaying it over and over in my head. I hate that! That guy was a jerk. We just recently went to a football game and the guys behind us kept swearing. After they saw me make a face one time when they did it they apologized and stopped, thankgoodness! Just because you are at a sporting event doesn't mean you HAVE to listen to that kind of language. Good for you Jill!
I am proud of you Jill, Way to be assertive! I am glad the game itself was exciting, I love come backs like that. You never know what to expect.
Post a Comment