I decided this morning that I can't spend 30-45 minutes rocking/bouncing/pacing at each naptime during the day. I found myself saying, "Just a minute," "Hold on," "Wait 'til I get Callie down," etc. way too often to Jenna. The process was just taking too much time. So, this morning for her first nap, I swaddled her up when I first saw her yawn, patted her bum for a minute, told her I loved her and put her in her bed. She cried. I went in every 10 minutes, checked her diaper, rubbed her back and said, "Sshhhh." Forty-five minutes later, she was asleep. And for the rest of her naps today, she's fallen asleep on her own.
I hope this isn't a fluke. I hope we're at a turning point here. I'm cool even if she doesn't sleep 8 hours every night just as long as I'm not spending that long pacing the floor, trying to settle her down. The fact that she fell asleep on her own throughout the day today meant I had a ton more time to play with Jenna, clean the floors and figure out and make dinner. I think I'm the happiest mom on the block.
And you know what else makes me happy? Jenna. Everything about her today made me want to smother her with smooches. She was such a good girl today, maybe because she sensed I was happy, too. I love it when she sings the song from the Tinkerbell movie at the top her lungs and makes up stories about purple beaches. We snuggled at naptime and she did my "make-up" with her blocks. Right now she is doing my hair and just stood in front of me and said, "Look at me, look at me. Hmmm.... little bit more." Now she just ran into the kitchen and said, "I hungry. Can I have a vitamin?" (We just finished dinner). She's the craziest girl I know and yes, she sometimes drives me crazy but mostly I'm just crazy about her.
2 comments:
yay! i don't know if you read that post about my good, good day, but i totally get how you feel. and when i wrote "you can't taste the sweet without the bitter"?? you're so there! that time that you don't have to spend consoling an unconsolable baby now can be spent showering...or brushing your teeth...or actually eating a meal...or spending time with your first born...
it feels SO SO SO good!
i hope it continues!
That is so awesome Jill! I hope that she is doing better, it sounds like the special formula may be just what she needed. You are such a good mom!
Post a Comment