Last Sunday, we had a great combined RS/Priesthood lesson on budgeting given by our friend, Sherman. Jake and I got really excited about it and have tried hard this week to improve our spending habits. One of our biggest issues is groceries... $50 here, $40 there.... it all adds up SO fast and we're buying things we don't really need. It is so hard to go to the store just for milk and not pick up the box of brownies that's on sale! So, in an effort to save money, I've decided to get a little more creative and resourceful with my dinners. One great website is allrecipes.com because you can search by the ingredients you have/want to use and the ones you don't. So, for example, my mom gave me a ton of lemons and I had some shrimp so I searched for recipes using those two things. I found a YUMMY garlic lemon shrimp pasta recipe that Jake said was restaraunt quality! Wow!

The bread is random.... sourdough would have been better, but when it's all you've got....

Proof!
The next night I did a twist on my mom's classic chili mac. Instead of using ground beef, I combined chicken breast strips, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, taco seasoning, dried onions, basically just a concoction of whatever sounded "Mexican." We put it in tortillas and YUM! Tonight I did the allrecipes.com search with chicken and corn flakes. I found a baked chicken recipe that I altered a little bit with a packet of dried ranch seasoning. It turned out okay... but Jenna liked it! 
Jenna and Jake also made some great lemon cookies using the lemons from my mom. 

We've had a lot of fun trying (and eating) new recipes and cooking with what we already have, instead of making several grocery runs. And it's fun to see all the money we're saving! P.S. Be sure to read all three new posts!
6 comments:
That is SO awesome! I love how creative you are--isn't it so fun to make new things from the "old". :) I can't wait to see what you come up with in the future!!
Hey, I thought that only Melissa was allowed to blog about how good food is!
When it comes to budgeting...our food always makes or breaks us! I am going to have to try this site out and get creative. We are totally impressed with your recipes!
How fun. I love to cook especially when I can make something up and have it taste fantastic. One thing that has helped (that I learned from my mom) was to make a menue of the week (or two-however often you grocery shop). That way I could look at the specials in the paper and get everything that I needed for that week. That way you never have to wonder what is for dinner.
1. I love your pictures, especially the one of the cookies!
2. The recipes you came up with all sound very yummy.
3. I think it is great that you are being frugal, yet you are not eating Ramen every night.
4. I am very proud of you for experimenting and trying new things--it will build your confidence as a cook!
Bring your recipes next time you come and make me some food!!!
thanks for the new recipes! i love allrecipes.com but had no idea that you can put in what ingredients you have & it turns something out for you. wow i guess i'm blind. but those cookies look fantastic. you've opened a whole new world for me.
Post a Comment