Jenna ate chalk yesterday. And I didn't stop her. Because I wanted this picture. I don't even know if it was non-toxic. I guess the bottom line for my blogging purposes is this: be myself, without sharing my whole self. What are your thoughts? P.S. Who is reading our blog? Let us know!
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
A Blogging Analysis
Today I was browsing a hilarious blog called "Seriously, so blessed." The Salt Lake Tribune called it "An astutely sharp" and "wickedly dead-on spoof of the suddenly trendy married Mormon blog phenomenon." The author basically pokes fun at how the majority of married LDS women who have blogs paint their lives to be pictures of perfection. I wondered if I fit into that category. But then I got to thinking: there are people I don't know who read my blog (yes, Denver, Bermuda and New Jersey, sitmeter gave you away) and I don't want the whole world knowing anything other than the superficial happenings of my life. And quite frankly, I don't want to know about any arguments you have with your spouse or about your irregular bowel movements or about the exact moment you knew you were pregnant. I feel those things are too personal to be shared with the entire blogging community. In my opinion, the only place to write about those things would be on a private blog (or Secret Public Journal, whichever you prefer) where only your spouse, your mom, your sisters and your BFF are invited to read. But, I also don't think people should try to be someone they're not and of this, I'm guilty. I find myself trying to write to a certain audience and have deleted an entire post because I'm worried someone will think it's dumb. This post, in fact, should probably be deleted. I've also not posted a certain video of Jenna because I was afraid someone would notice the grapes she was eating were not cut in quarters and think I was a bad mother. Come on. That's just ridiculous. And yet, it's true. So on that note:
Jenna ate chalk yesterday. And I didn't stop her. Because I wanted this picture. I don't even know if it was non-toxic. I guess the bottom line for my blogging purposes is this: be myself, without sharing my whole self. What are your thoughts? P.S. Who is reading our blog? Let us know!
Jenna ate chalk yesterday. And I didn't stop her. Because I wanted this picture. I don't even know if it was non-toxic. I guess the bottom line for my blogging purposes is this: be myself, without sharing my whole self. What are your thoughts? P.S. Who is reading our blog? Let us know!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
WHEW! I thought you were going to say you were going private! :)
And hooray for showing you are real. It's actually GOOD to know that...so THANKS for sharing.
Oh, and Spencer eats FULL grapes, popcorn, and chunks of meat. He isn't even 1 yet. So, if you think you're a bad parent, I must be a TERRIBLE parent! :) jk!
I prefer the secret public journal route, but you already knew that... I was hoping that you would provide some examples of inappropriate blogs (I may be able to add a few).
This may be your best post yet (just because it reference to the SPJ)!
I love this post. (And I knew it would draw a comment from Glenn.) I love YOU!
Too funny! I love it when your journalistic thoughts come out, hehe. Speaking of private blogs..we took our off the private list. It was too much to keep up with who has email access to it and who is upset that they can't see it! ahhh. But do you want to know more about the personal life of the Wheats??? haha jk
oh and I like that Jenna ate chalk! She is going to eat tons more things like crayons, paste, boogers! We did and we turned out great right?
Nice shout out to the SPJ. I read that blog you had a link to and it is HILARIOUS. It kind of makes me want to change my blog title, to what, I don't know, but she would have a hayday with "Fun with the Franklins!" I love you!
hey! I am reading your blog! I am not doing so well with my own blogging, but thats because I am in the middle of a move and trying to get things started for school! (did you know I'm teaching dance on campus?) anyways... Jenna is too cute! When will she and hannah meeting up?!?!?
I loved your comment on our blog, and I completely agree with your analysis of this blogging dilemma: tell the truth, but not TOO MUCH truth. :) I also understand about worrying that people will think you're a bad parent. I'm hoping I won't worry quite so much once I have more kids. Maybe I still will, though. Who knows?
Ok, sorry for rambling on your blog. Thanks for the awesome post!
P.S. Gracie ate chalk last week too. I think she and Jenna will be fine, though.
I'm calling CPS and taking custody of that girl right now!!
Wow! So true! I think you're right, though. Nobody really wants to know all of the garbage. That's what Soaps are for.
Georgie's been keeping me busy, so sorry I haven't commented in a while. She cries as soon as I look at the computer.
Anyway, holy cow, woman! You'd better post that video. If Jenna doesn't have issues with the grapes by the end of the video, I'm sure she's fine with eating them however you're giving them to her.
Okay so you don't even know who I am but, here I am on your blog! I was on Jessica's blog and I've been bored today, so I thought I'd go through her blog roll. Funny thing is...I was just talking about this same thing! the whole "Make it seem like your life is soooo perfect through your blog" Thing and I like yourself hope that I don't give off the "perfect family" impression. But I know sometimes I DO worry about what I put on my blog. Like a few months back, 2 of my kids fell asleep on a HUGE pile of laundry in the middle of my living room floor (it was on the couch but they dragged it down) and I actullay thought,"I can't put that on my blog I look like a slacker!" I was sure people would think, "Can't you fold your clothes?" or "Your super bored kids fell asleep in your clean laundry, come on lady give 'em something to do!"
Thanks for the great post...I REALLY am going to be more of myself :) That post was a great reminder! I hope you don't mind if I visit your blog sometimes :) visit mine if you like!
Hey! Regular reader of your blog!!
LOL- what a great blog! I love it. The pictures are great too. Every now and then its okay to promote yourself. Hope that all is well with everyone. Take care.
Hee hee Jilly I just love you!!! Why am I constantly laughing when I visit your blog?! Cause it is so you!!
I totally agree with idea that some are blogging things that make their lives "look" perfect! "Oh heres a picture of my perfectly clean children and our perfectly clean house!! hee hee Or here is a picture of the cookies I made this morning after I just ran a 5k and finished birthing our 4th child. hee hee
I try not to do that and just try to keep a more journal like approach!! Blogging to me is so fun to have for myself to vent and document things and then to see what my friends and family are doing. I love your blog! Weird, but I think it makes me feel closer to you and others--so hopefully the people that I blog with are being themselves and sharing the good, the bad, the ugly and the sincere!
Post a Comment