Today has been rough. A lot of whining, crying, tattling, complaining, tantrum throwing. I've been bit. I've had at least one kid around my legs or on my hip almost all day. I think I've heard "Mom" a record number of times today in various forms such as, "Mom?" "Moooom" and "MOOooooommmmm!"
I had renewed hope for the day on the way home from piano lessons at my sister's house. The sun came out and I was admiring the fall foliage while singing out loud to Bruno Mars' Just the Way You Are. But then Jenna asked what we were having for dinner. I tried not to be annoyed by the question in and of itself and calmly told her baked potatoes. And then the classic, "But I don't liiiiike potatoes" started in. She cried the entire way home about how she wanted waffles instead. I decided I wasn't going to give in and ignored her while I sang along to the next song on the radio. This made her so mad which for some reason was making me laugh. That made her even more upset.
You can guess how the next hour and a half went. It was an all out battle which ended in a lot of tears and some "raised voices." Not my finest hour. But after the world's fastest bath (without toys. Man, I'm mean!) I told her we needed to talk. I told her I was disappointed in the day, in her and in myself. I told her the things that made me feel frustrated and we promised to both make better choices. Then she melted my heart when she asked if we could say a prayer. She even volunteered to say it. I couldn't understand her words because she was talking in such a high-pitched voice but somewhere in there she said, "Thankful for the Spirit."
Her preschool teacher told me today that she is a delight to have in class. That she is mindful of others and everyone wants to be her friend. Pretty much the best thing a parent could hear. Unfortunately, she didn't choose to show that side at home today. Maybe tomorrow.
But for now, they are in their beds. The day just needed to be done. Because the sooner it's over, the sooner our second chance comes.
Here's to a better day.
3 comments:
Awwww, thank you. I'm so very glad there are second chances every day. Jenna sounds like such a sweetheart. I hope I can meet your beautiful girls someday.
You're such a good mom, Jill. Your girls are lucky to have you. Hope your "second chance" day went well. :)
And a little child shall lead them.....
Post a Comment