Monday, September 21, 2009

A couple weeks ago, the door on my half-size, bottom-of-the-line oven fell off. But after a phone call to our landlord who promised to replace it while my mom was here, plans were resurrected to bake our booties off. That was 12 days ago. When the first time frame he gave came and went, we called to check up on things. He gave us a second window of time, promising to definitely be here on Saturday, the day my mom went home. No homemade power bars this time. Jake called on Sunday and got an answering machine. We finally heard back last night and were told he could bring it to us right then but it's not clean 'cause he got it off of craigslist. Really? Or he could clean it up and bring it the next day. Well buddy, chances of you (a) cleaning it appropriately and (b) bringing it tomorrow are very slim. Bring it now. He showed up with this piece of hud.



I was in tears, probably due to heightened emotions from my lack of sleep and general hormone wackiness. I was disappointed. Disappointed that we waited so long only to be brought a dirty oven. But, fortunately, my mother taught me how to clean and Jake thinks I can clean anything (just ask him about our first apartment in California when I took a razor blade to the shower). And, after seeing that the self-cleaner was set to take three and a half hours, I knew I could clean it faster and better. So, armed with boiling water, Lysol, Soft Scrub and four Magic Erasers, I set to work. An hour later, I hadn't made much progress. I grabbed a spoon (I'm not weird, I'm creative) and that grime was comin' right off. It was slow though, since a spoon's surface area isn't very large. I asked Jake if we had a paint scraper. Oddly enough, we do and it worked like a charm. I was done in exactly two hours.

It's not perfect but I feel better serving things from it. And there are several good things about it: it's full-size, which means all my bakeware will fit in it as opposed to only the one cookie sheet that fit in the dinky oven; the dials are in the back, out of reach of little hands; it's glass top for easy wiping; the temperature is set digitally - no more guessing! Lasagna anyone?

11 comments:

Glenn Franklin said...

If anyone leaves a comment that says "will you now come over and clean mine?" you have permission to never talk to them again!!! Nice work.

Unknown said...

It looks beautiful. Way to go!

Diana said...

Good work! Maybe I should somehow have our oven door "fall off" so we can get a new one too...then do you want to come over and clean it???? You're awesome!

Portia said...

Your new title: MRS. CLEAN!!!
WOW! What a transformation.
Bake on, baby, bake on......

Rachel Holloway said...

holy cow. There are hardly words to express 1)what I think of your landlord and 2) how amazing you are! Seriously, I would have run screaming!

You're a good woman!

Camille said...

Yikes, what a mediocre landlord you have. Sorry that you had to go through that. I have cleaned way too many ovens that other people neglected and I know how much work you went through. The pictures make it look amazing- what a before and after!

(We still really miss you)

Defector ;)

Leah said...

Good Job Aunt Jill!

Kimra Bham said...

That looks GREAT!! I honestly don't know if I would have had the patience to get it looking that great... but, it all paid off for you--- ENJOY!!!

Debbie said...

You did a great job. It looks really good! Isn't it a great feeling when you get something done?

Sami said...

I feel as though I can clean absolutely anything and enjoy doing it (to a certain extent) but I have NEVER been an oven cleaner (please don't look inside my oven). I'm so awed by the fact that you cleaned it by hand instead of the nifty self cleaning option. I am SERIOUSLY impressed. You go girl!!

Ashlee and Shane said...

Oh my gosh...the top of my stove looks just like yours. How did you get that nasty brown burnt ring off around the burners. I have tried to scrub, but it won't come off. What exactly did you use. Please tell...this stove has been driving me crazy!!!!! :)