Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A for effort.

Monday was a difficult day with Jenna. It's like she's almost two or something. According to her, everything called for a major meltdown, even if she just spilled two drops of her milk on her jammies. At the end of the day, dinner was not something I wanted to think about. So Jake, being the great guy that he is, offered to make something and when he asked me what I felt like I said white enchiladas. He found a recipe online, made a special trip to the store and with help from Jenna, began cooking while I spent a few minutes by myself. I came out to the kitchen shortly before dinner was ready and when I saw the huge (empty) jar of nacho cheese, I had a bad feeling. Then Jake says, "This was supposed to make 6, but I've only got 4 and the filling is gone." This is what came out of the oven:

We both kind of stared at it then he says, "It got a really good rating." He also mixed up a little bit of this:Notice the empty jar to the right of the pitcher? The entire contents is on top of those enchiladas. We both just started cracking up. We took a few bites and then stopped.

Jill: The filling is really good, but there's kind of a lot in each one. It's kind of overwhelming....

Jake: ....ly good?

But we both knew the truth. I think it would have been okay with less filling in each one and with a lot less nacho cheese. I had to laugh because it was so Jake to come up with something that involved nacho cheese and green kool-aid. We both felt a little sick later on that night. I felt so bad that his special dinner didn't turn out as special as he had hoped but he definitely scored the points for trying.

5 comments:

Portia said...

Good effort, Jake. Call me for the "real" white enchiladas recipe!
Gotta love a guy who tries!!!

Unknown said...

Hey it looks yummy, but we like cheese! And I just made white enchiladas and it was your recipe from college! Did he just want to try something new?

lynsey said...

i love the green kool-aid. totally hilarious! but it's the thought, right? that was really sweet of him to give you a few moments to yourself after a hard day. i bet you won't be eating nacho cheese for a while!

Diana said...

awesome. . . that was so nice of Jake and I know how you feel. I hate discrediting Ryan's efforts when he tries to do something nice but sometimes it just doesn't work!

Vanessa said...

that it too funny.