Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Crafting competition.

I loved going to school at BYU-Idaho. My roommates and I had some crazy times that I will not write about here because my mom reads this blog. Just kidding. The worst thing I did was sneak out past curfew to get a milkshake at Dennys.

But after Jake and I got married, I started feeling claustrophobic in that small town. We lived in a new apartment building specifically designated for married students. We were all newlyweds with no kids, going to school at the same small university. "Competition" ensued. It seemed like everyone was trying to be the most spiritual, the smartest and the best in order to make themselves standout. One fast Sunday at the beginning of the semester, some of the bishopric were released from their callings. During the meeting, one guy got up to share his testimony and I overheard his wife say, "You go (name of the husband). You get that calling."

Noooooooooooooo.

Jake and I moved outta there shortly after that and I thought I had escaped the world of one-upping.

Not exactly.

I'm in it again.

The blog world is a virtual version of that apartment complex we lived in. The blogs I read are most often written by young moms with small children who are trying to find an outlet and something to do other than wipe noses and bums (me included). But now it seems like everyone and their mom has a blog dedicated to sewing/baking/photography or some other artsy craft. That's fine. I do like looking at pretty things people make and trying to recreate them. But it's getting to be overwhelming (especially now that's Christmas and there are a million Christmas crafts floating around). And it feels like in an attempt to be THE sewing/baking/photography/craft blog, bloggers go to great lengths to make their creations stand out. Case in point, I was browsing a craft blog showcasing Christmas party invitations. Instead of just taking a snapshot of the thing, the invite was staged next to two mugs on a cute (vintage, I'm sure) table and, of course, the lighting was perfect. The photo in and of itself was a work of art. I understand the need to make things look good, especially when you're trying to sell something. But for pete's sake, pretty soon people are going to start wearing headbands across their foreheads in the name of being unique.

Oh.

Wait.

People already do that.
I don't know who this girl is. I think I'm supposed say where I got this picture but maybe she doesn't want me to? It was on google images. That's fair game, right?
But you know what I mean. And what happened to just taking a nice, simple family photo? No. We've got to include a vintage chair or beat up truck in the middle of a wheat field at sunset in an effort to stand out from everyone who does take nice, simple pictures. But now that everyone is starting to use the same props as everyone else, what will be next? Posing on elephants?

BTW, our friend took awesome pictures of us. They were perfectly simple and that made them so beautiful. Thanks, Shay.

A sampling of her great work:

Brandy from The Apprentice said it best when she explained why she isn't as vocal as other contestants in the boardroom. She lets her good work speak for itself. No need to oversell. I think that's a good point. If the invitation is cute enough, you don't need a mug to make it look better. If your photography skills are sharp enough, you don't need a rusty truck to make a nice picture. (Having cute kids helps though).

Maybe I'm just tired of the felt flowers, glitter glue, mod podge and embellished Ts. Or maybe I'm just realizing that I can't compete with those that are crafty. Maybe I need to simplify my own life by eliminating the pressure I put on myself when I look at what others make and feel I also have to be creative in order to fit into the world of stay-at-home-mom bloggers. I don't need crafts to feel validated as a wife/mom/woman. Do I sometimes enjoy them? Yes. I did just spend a couple evenings making a felt nativity board. I haven't posted about it because it's not as great as what others could probably make. That, and I couldn't get a good picture of it.

So here's to keeping it simple. Crafts, food, photos, life.

And headbands.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Your beautiful! Great family photos, but you are great models too so that helps right?

And I want to know WHO you overheard, thats crazy.

But thanks for the reminder that we need to keep it simple. Life gets crazy when you are too pressured to one up.

Love you...

I know I know...I will get to blogging soon....I am terrible at it lately....maybe it is my way of keeping it simple. haha

Rachel Holloway said...

AMEN. AMEN. AMEN.

It has started to feel like nothing will ever be enough...for anyone. What happened to simple. Sweet. Easy. What happened to living life just to be happy--doing crafts just for fun--and not letting those things completely overrun everything we do!?

It's a total homemaker jungle out there--and seriously, it can feel lonely and depressing reading the blogs of these women who seem to have it all together, all the time...
:)

Party of Five said...

I'm in love with this post and everything in it. The end.

Rachelle said...

I know there are those that one up for their self esteem, but thankfully there are plenty of people that like different creative outlets to make life beautiful and interesting. As for me, I hardly blog, or craft, and I don't have it all together because I lack the creative gene and I don't have time beyond wiping bums and noses :)! But I have to say, I LOVE that people can produce a variety of crafts so if I ever need them, I can BUY them, cause I know mine won't turn out as good either! I'm sure your nativity board is awesome and your family loves it too!

Diana said...

Jill, I love this blog! Your family needs nothing to make you guys look beautiful. Seriously, BEAUTIFUL family. And I never post any projects either, I'm always embarrassed about how they turned out, but why should we be? I'm sure your felt nativity is awesome, seriously, I want to see it.
Oh, and hilarious story about that girl telling her husband to go "get that calling"...who are these people?!?!?!

Laura said...

Your post brought me back to Earth. Today I decided to see if I could find any cute, easy ideas for Callie's birthday party this Saturday. Way overwhelming! I was just thinking of an easy craft project to go along with pizza and homemade cupcakes and then I started wondering if what I had planned was enough...
Thanks for reminding me, it's not about them, it's about me!

Monette and Mark said...

I never felt that way when we lived in the Courtyard but I sure feel it in the blogging world. I love looking at other people's blogs yet at the same time it makes me feel that I will never measure up. That I'm just not good enough. I'm all for keeping it simple!
I love your family picture! You're beautiful!

Portia said...

Because I am the Mom and I say so....
you do not have to be the crafting, blogging or cooking queen or queen of any other frivolous dang thing. You are the queen of Jake's, Jenna's and Callie's worlds and a darned special princess in mine! Absolute end of story!! Let's move on.

Unknown said...

I know how you feel. Mostly what I've done is just accept my limitations and buy other people's crafty stuff. I can sew (barely) and do basic knitting. I love to cook but not enough to share it with the world. Don't even start me on photography or scrapbooking - no gonna happen. The hardest part is knowing that both my mother and my sister are immensely talented in all things crafty. Once I realized that those were not my talents, per se, I felt much better.

Spring said...

Okay, okay, I'll admit it, it was me who told my husband, "you go get that calling." ha ha. j/k. The best part about that ward was meeting friends like you guys!! Love your family, so beautiful.

Kimra Bham said...

I completely agree!!! AND, I am in love your family pictures!!! So, so, so precious!

Lauralee said...

The thing I love about you is your openness and honesty. I think we've all felt overwhelmed or unable to measure up at one time or another- I know I do! Thanks for wording it so perfectly! Oh-and I love your family pictures. SO DARN CUTE! And you do have the cutest girls.

Alicia said...

Ah, a voice of reason! I couldn't agree with you more. No, really. Thanks for your honesty, Jill. I enjoy doing crafts but really don't get "into" them like other people. I'm glad to know that there are others out there who feel the same!

Love the family pictures! (But I couldn't see the rusty farm equipment in the background... maybe you just didn't post those ones? Saving that one for your homemade, stamped-up, glittery, 3-D Christmas cards, right? I get it. ;) )

Ashlee and Shane said...

I know what you are saying! I think majority of these women really enjoy doing what they do and they like to share their creations with everyone b/c they really genuinely want to share with others how to do it, or they just do it to show they are better than so and so. Like you said, keep it simple. Not only that, but they need to find BALANCE in their life. Some of them seem to dedicate so much time to their blog and facebook, etc. and i wonder where they are finding the time to spend with their kids. There are so many different reasons why people do what they do. We don't really know, but i have definitely seen the "competition" mode that lots of women are in. Not sure why it exists. Must be that they are insecure in themselves. I hate competition. It's okay to have these hobbies and share with people, but not to go overboard, like you said. People just need to find balance with what they do, especially with the internet. I have a love/hate relationship with the internet. I need it, but don't want to need it. :) If we could live without the internet i would so do it. Cute family pics, by the way! :)