My stomach was in knots when Ramona, the local celebrity newswoman, rang the bell to start the race. We waved at the camera as we ran by and I was feeling pretty good. Then we hit mile one when the heavy breathing and jell-o legs started in but at least it wasn't crazy hot and humid. In fact, it was raining and the rain felt good. As runners passed me up, I read the names pinned to their backs, honoring family members and friends who were victims of or who had survived breast cancer. I got a little emotion but it was a good distraction until mile two.... At this point, my rear was so sore and every step was sending a sharp pain from my foot to my hip. I told them I might throw up when we're done. (There goes goal #2). I was still "running" but I could tell that Amy and Melissa have slowed way down so we could all be together. They kept telling me we're almost there, but it seemed like they were saying that for a long time! My pace had turned into a slow trot when we came to the incline right before the finish line. That's what did me in. My legs felt like they were going to give out at any second. Amy and Melissa grabbed my hands and offered words of encouragement but that last little stretch was kind of a blur until I saw the finish line. We all grabbed hands again and raised them up in triumph, until I collapsed right after crossing that line (and there goes goal #3). I was so exhausted! We hugged and I fought back tears but kept thinking that this was all a little symbolic. They helped me over to the curb where I caught my breath and settled down. With a little bit of help, I did it! A trivial thing to some but it was a great experience for me. Although I do not know anyone who has had breast cancer, it was an honor to be there with Amy and Melissa, as sisters and as women. The best part? Free Mitchell's ice cream. Hehe!Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Warning: very cheesy and I don't mean cheddar
I was very excited when my sister, Amy, called to ask me if I wanted to join her and our other sister to run in the Race for the Cure. The two have been doing the race for a few years and I was so happy to be there with them. And then it started to sink in that this is a 5k run, which to some is no big thing but I do not run. Put me in a pool and I'll swim a 50k (okay, probably not but you get what I mean) but put me in a pair of tennis shoes and we're talking side aches, knee aches and shortness of breath, not to mention the sweat factor. So, I started to get a little nervous, especially knowing that Amy and Melissa are avid runners and go nearly every morning. I had three goals for the race: #1 Run the whole thing, #2 No complaining and #3 Don't make a fool of yourself (pretty much my goals for giving birth).
My stomach was in knots when Ramona, the local celebrity newswoman, rang the bell to start the race. We waved at the camera as we ran by and I was feeling pretty good. Then we hit mile one when the heavy breathing and jell-o legs started in but at least it wasn't crazy hot and humid. In fact, it was raining and the rain felt good. As runners passed me up, I read the names pinned to their backs, honoring family members and friends who were victims of or who had survived breast cancer. I got a little emotion but it was a good distraction until mile two.... At this point, my rear was so sore and every step was sending a sharp pain from my foot to my hip. I told them I might throw up when we're done. (There goes goal #2). I was still "running" but I could tell that Amy and Melissa have slowed way down so we could all be together. They kept telling me we're almost there, but it seemed like they were saying that for a long time! My pace had turned into a slow trot when we came to the incline right before the finish line. That's what did me in. My legs felt like they were going to give out at any second. Amy and Melissa grabbed my hands and offered words of encouragement but that last little stretch was kind of a blur until I saw the finish line. We all grabbed hands again and raised them up in triumph, until I collapsed right after crossing that line (and there goes goal #3). I was so exhausted! We hugged and I fought back tears but kept thinking that this was all a little symbolic. They helped me over to the curb where I caught my breath and settled down. With a little bit of help, I did it! A trivial thing to some but it was a great experience for me. Although I do not know anyone who has had breast cancer, it was an honor to be there with Amy and Melissa, as sisters and as women. The best part? Free Mitchell's ice cream. Hehe!
My stomach was in knots when Ramona, the local celebrity newswoman, rang the bell to start the race. We waved at the camera as we ran by and I was feeling pretty good. Then we hit mile one when the heavy breathing and jell-o legs started in but at least it wasn't crazy hot and humid. In fact, it was raining and the rain felt good. As runners passed me up, I read the names pinned to their backs, honoring family members and friends who were victims of or who had survived breast cancer. I got a little emotion but it was a good distraction until mile two.... At this point, my rear was so sore and every step was sending a sharp pain from my foot to my hip. I told them I might throw up when we're done. (There goes goal #2). I was still "running" but I could tell that Amy and Melissa have slowed way down so we could all be together. They kept telling me we're almost there, but it seemed like they were saying that for a long time! My pace had turned into a slow trot when we came to the incline right before the finish line. That's what did me in. My legs felt like they were going to give out at any second. Amy and Melissa grabbed my hands and offered words of encouragement but that last little stretch was kind of a blur until I saw the finish line. We all grabbed hands again and raised them up in triumph, until I collapsed right after crossing that line (and there goes goal #3). I was so exhausted! We hugged and I fought back tears but kept thinking that this was all a little symbolic. They helped me over to the curb where I caught my breath and settled down. With a little bit of help, I did it! A trivial thing to some but it was a great experience for me. Although I do not know anyone who has had breast cancer, it was an honor to be there with Amy and Melissa, as sisters and as women. The best part? Free Mitchell's ice cream. Hehe!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Just like life, kiddo. A little help from family and loved ones and we can do anything!!
Proud of you!
What a cool experience! I really wanted to do that...maybe next year!
You are still my hero!! I am proud of you too! And maybe someday we will train and do something like that together too.
You were awesome! I am so proud of you for sticking with it till the end. It was fun to read your take on the whole thing.
Jilly!! You are super awesome!! I am so glad that you posted this!! I get teary eyed reading!! Joshy signed us up to run a 5k too in 2 weeks and I know I am going to die!! Thanks for the update too! We missed you!
Jill, Great job running! next time you come to Turlock maybe you can encourage me!
Post a Comment