Saturday, July 17, 2010

Saying goodbye.

Just as soon as we got back from Florida, Callie and I flew to California. My grandma's time was getting short and I had to see her. We bought a ticket Wednesday, quickly made arrangements for Jenna to stay with friends (thanks a million S and L) and left on Thursday.

By the time I got to her, she wasn't too reponsive but there were a few moments of clarity that I will cherish forever. One afternoon, Amy and I painted her nails. She was more coherent than she had been so I called my mom to bring Callie over. Grandma acted as if she wanted to hold her and Callie didn't fuss at the gesture. As the youngest and the oldest family members met for the first and last time, Grandma said, "Beautiful baby."

The next day, 6 of her 7 living grandchildren (Melissa was en route) gathered around and it was a reunion of sorts for the cousins who hadn't seen each other in over a decade. As I knelt next to her and held her hand, she lifted mine and kissed it.

My weekend at home was emotionally intense but as I said goodbye to the woman who created so many happy childhood memories for me, my siblings and cousins, I was overwhelmed with a feeling of peace. I knew that she was on her way to see family who had gone before her and my faith in the Plan of Salvation was strengthened. Even in the end, she was an example to me.

Although it was overwhelming, I will always look back on that weekend as one of the best experiences of my life. And it made me smile yesterday when I saw Callie all snuggly on one of Grandma's old quilts, wrapped up in love and memories that I'll tell her all about some day.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

The Franklin kids (AKA me and my siblings) were the only people in her family that didn't see her from when school got out till she passed(very short period). I miss you!

~BROOKE~

Spring said...

Oh Jill, how I love ya. My grandma recently passed away too. It brought me to tears to read about your beautiful grandma. I am so happy you were able to be together with your family, that really does bring everything into perspective.

Also, I don't know why I didn't realize until now that you guys are in Cleveland. My parents are serving their mission in Ohio, first in Cincinnati, and now in Columbus. They love Ohio, so here is another reason to love Ohio - the Barnes family.