Wednesday, February 17, 2010

blah.

Two things are irritataing me lately: potty and snow.

Yes. We are revisiting the potty issue. We started potty-training Jenna the week she turned two. She caught on after only ten days. "That was easy," I thought. Psh. Here we are, one year later, and there is a potty stain on one of my throw pillows and she has gone through every last pair of princess undies in a matter of days. What is up with that? Ok, so we did have a lot of major changes this past year but the last few months have been pretty routine. I even made her this awesome ice cream chart and she gets to put a scoop on the cone if she stays dry all day. I made it ten days ago; there are only two scoops on it.

Moving on to snow. Living in the snow is not new to us. We lived in Rexburg, also known as Iceburg, and Jake served his mission in Canada, so we know what's it like. However, living in the snow with kids is an entirely different ball game. It is so much WORK. Hats, coats, layers, mittens, scarves, socks, boots... for me and them. I'm getting tired just thinking about it. And buckling a kid into a carseat with all those layers on is no easy feat either. My motivation to leave the house is somewhere between zero and none. But if we don't, we (I) will go crazy. Last year in March we were here
the beach that is not Lake Erie
and the temperature on the way to the beach was

Yeah. As much as we love it here, we are really missing home and itching for some warmer weather. But until then, we bundle up and make the best of it. Maybe Jenna wets her pants to stay warm. Who knows?

8 comments:

Glenn Franklin said...

Part of the Cleveland experience. You need to learn to embrace it. I think that it took Amy several years too, but it will happen.

Shay said...

I am now considering wetting my pants to be warmer too, great idea Jenna.

Portia said...

Sorry to tell you, we matched that 74 degrees today - in FEBRUARY!
But it's going to rain this weekend, so there you go.

Unknown said...

The snow will be over before you know it. When I have to go out, I try to stay out as long as possible so I don't have to go home and then back out again. This means that a trip to the library usually also includes a drop-off at the post office mailbox, maybe going to the drive-thru bank, and going out to lunch. That way I can get out of the house and it's minimal dealing with the snow gear.

As for the potty training, maybe try positive reinforcement like you did in the beginning like giving her a sticker or a small candy after she goes. That way she's seeing the results right away and not having to wait until she's been dry all day. Because, if she has an accident early in the day, she already knows she's not getting a ice cream scoop that day. So what's the point of using the potty for the rest of the day!? Just some thoughts.

Mattson Family said...

sorry! Hang in there!

Sami said...

All my kids regressed too. The only thing that I found that worked for my sanity and perhaps helped them along was to make them clean up all the messes. They'd come to me and tell me they were messy and I'd tell them to go clean it up and then left it at that (of course I gave them direction the first couple of times. i.e. put your pee pee clothes in the bathtub, get a wipey and wash your legs, get new clothes on and oh ya, where's the mess on the floor?).

Niah regressed at 5 and so we had a deal that if she pee'd her pants she took a nap. PERIOD! Because babies pee in their pants and they also take naps. She was cured in a couple of days! But she was older and able to better understand.

Good luck. Just my suggestion. Doesn't work for everyone. Figure out what works for you.

Two things we really can't control. Their bowels and stomach.

Lauralee said...

I hear you on the spring. I'm dying for spring too! Every sunny day I get up and think it's got to be warmer today!

Brooke said...

i understand.