Sunday, December 7, 2008

Best day of my life.

My sister, Amy, came to visit in February and while she was here, we spent a day in San Francisco with my parents and brother. As we were walking by the piers, snapping photos of the clock tower and enjoying the nice weather, she said, "This is one of the best days of my life." We all kind of laughed but since then, we've used the expression to describe a perfect day. Some other "best days of my life" include (in no particular order):
The first time I saw Jake after his mission
Our wedding day
The day Jenna was born
Going to the Kelly Clarkson concert for my birthday
Going to Yellowstone with Jake and my parents after graduation from BYU-Idaho
Any day my sisters call to say they're flying out
Any day Jenna takes three-hour nap

And I'm adding today to the list. Today was quite possibly the perfect day. A few weeks ago, Jake told me he had never been across the Golden Gate Bridge. I thought that was funny because he's from the area but it gave me a great idea for his birthday. There is a pedestrian path across the bridge and I thought it would be fun to walk it. My mom, dad and brother drove out and we headed to San Francisco. We parked at the bottom of the bridge, bundled up and started to walk across. The bridge was so intriguing and majestic and I think we were all in awe of it. Some of us got a little queasy looking up or down but it was awesome! The wind (which reminded me a little of Rexburg) was freezing and we turned around halfway because it was just too cold for little J but we got some sweet shots. I was so glad it was a clear day!

We decided that because we were so close, we'd head down to Pier 39 for some fresh clam chowder (so fresh that a few of us found a little sand in our soup!) in authentic sour dough bread bowls. The chowder was another first me and Jake and we both loved it.
The table we sat at had a great view of the water and a way sweet "Rocket" boat that we are remembering for future reference. After lunch, we headed down to the water so Jenna could get a view of the seals. She was pretty fascinated!














I couldn't believe how perfect the weather was (about 62) and on the way home, I rolled down the window and snapped some shots of the scenery.














Back at home, we had Christmas with Jenna because we can't take her presents with us on the flight to Ohio. My brother got her her very first webkins, a kitty that she loves! And my mom got her some awesome play food and we got her a kitchen! She went crazy for it! She called it "cute." And kept saying, "A ya go" for "Here you go" because that what's we were saying as we showed her how to play with it. Her reaction was exactly what I was going for.

















After presents, we enjoyed another round of soup. This time, my mom's famous Chicken Tortilla soup. YUM. Then it was time for bath and bed. Jenna didn't have a nap the whole day but you wouldn't even know it! She was such a trooper. The day was just perfect - perfect company, perfect weather, perfect food. But now.......... tomorrow is Monday and it's back to life, back to reality. (And now you're going to have that song stuck in your head!)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to Jake, we tried calling you earlier (you probably were having so much fun on the best day of your life) but your voicemail isn't set up? I will try again, but in case I fail, Happy Birthday and THANK YOU for that Willow Tree! You are the bestest friend ever!

Rachel Holloway said...

WHAT FUN!!! You are so thoughtful! I love it!

WHEN ARE YOU COMING TO OHIO??? Think you might have time to meet up this time??

Portia said...

Amen

Amy Franklin said...

I could use a "best day." I think I may have one coming up here in the next little while.....

Diana said...

That definitely sounds like a perfect day! How fun! Happy Birthday Jake and sweet kitchen for Jenna. When I was little mine was tiny but that thing is awesome!